Tencent’s new Guangzhou campus wins top AIA award
The Tencent Guangzhou project was highlighted at the AIA HK’s annual Honors & Awards ceremony, held in Hong Kong on November 14th.
The award was given for the campus’s sensitive approach to the adaptive reuse of existing buildings, the campus’ revitalisation, its distinctive design and its high level of sustainability.
Located in the Guangzhou Creative Park, a former textile industry site, the campus comprises six former factory buildings occupying a floor area of 9,980 square metres. Tencent wanted to create a centre of excellence for its staff in Guangzhou, a distinctive, technologically-modern facility that would encourage employees to socialise, innovate, and identify with the values of the Tencent brand.
“There is a very human character at the Creative Park – a stimulating mix of history and culture that chimes with Tencent’s desire to create ‘meaningful’ workplaces that are environmentally friendly, comfortable and innovative,” said the Tencent’s project manager.
Highlights of the design include:
- Creating a sense of community through campus revitalisation
- Maximising the use of existing building shells
- Open-air bridges between buildings to create a linked workplace
- Use of sustainable, locally sourced, recycled and recyclable materials
- Open-plan interiors with architectural interventions creating ‘building within a building’ spaces for collaboration
- Cloud-inspired ceiling in atrium reception
- Emphasis on social and collaborative spaces, including outdoor seating
Workplace design and delivery specialist M Moser Associates led the project, including its design and engineering.
“Tencent had a great vision for this project, and it was a very satisfying challenge for our team to help them fulfil it. We all felt we were on the same team – and so I am sure they are as proud as we are to be honoured by the AIA,” said Wendy Leung, Director and Head of M Moser Guangzhou.
To find out more about Tencent’s Guangzhou campus project, read the case study.